Sunday, September 20, 2020

Agatha Christie Pair: The Couple Who Discover They are Also Friends

Agatha Christie couples also include the passionate couple who realize that they are actually also friends (Moving Finger).

Moving Finger contains one of my favorite passages from literature:
  "Luke, do you like me now?"
  He made a movement toward her, but she warded him off.
  "I said 'like', Luke; not 'love.'"
  "Oh, I see. Yes, I do. I like you, Bridget, as well as loving you."
  Bridget said, "I like you, Luke."
  They smiled at each other a little timidly, like children who have made friends at a party.
  Bridget said, "Liking is more important than loving. It lasts. I want what is between us to last, Luke. I don't want us just to love each other and marry and get tired of each other, and then want to marry someone else."
  "Oh, my dear love, I know. You want reality."
Christie was an advocate of the friendly marriage. She had a passionate marriage with the unreliable and self-centered Archie. And she had a friendly, happy marriage with Max Mallowan.

In Sad Cypress, the story of a woman who imagines killing her romantic rival, the main character Eleanor eventually chooses the reliable doctor who showed her unstinting friendship--as opposed to the unreliable, waffling man Eleanor had wanted to murder for.

Lovers-who-become-friends is a variation on this theme. They have the passion but do they have anything else?

My favorite M/M couple makes another appearance here since Silas and Dom's relationship in KJ Charles's Seditious Affair begins as purely sexual--a safe place for Dominic to get the domination he craves during sex. At some point over approximately a year, the relationship transforms as the men begin to discuss books, a topic about which they are nearly as passionate.

What about the other way around--the friends-who-want-to-be-lovers. Is it an automatic, "Yes, of course it will work!"? 
 
In the below quote, Dom explains to his good friend, once his lover, why their relationship would not have lasted--despite their great friendship.