Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sci-Fi Heroine: Lieutenant Chloe & Katherine Beckett

In a hilarious and fairly meta Castle episode "The Final Frontier," Nebula Nine, the sci-fi show invented for the episode, is a pastiche and tribute and spoof of the tacky side of sci-fi, similar to Wormhole X-Treme on Stargate SG-1

The heroine is Lieutenant Chloe. She is played by the episode's villainess, Stephanie Frye, but Lieutenant Chloe herself is someone that Beckett continues to admire. 

In fact, Beckett delivers one of the greatest speeches in favor of sci-fi heroines (and why so-called critics and so-called feminists should lay off criticizing past/historical sci-fi that doesn't appear to live up to their standards):

BECKETT: You're right, okay? It was a stupid show. It was cheesy and melodramatic. I mean, a handful of academy cadets on a training mission, and suddenly, the earth is destroyed and they're all that's left of humanity? I completely understand why you hated it. But I also understand why people loved it, why Anabelle loved it. It was about leaving home for the first time, about searching for your identity and making a difference. I loved dressing up like Lieutenant Chloe. She didn't care what anybody thought about her, and I kinda did at that time. I mean, she was a scientist and a warrior, and that was all in spite of the way that she looked. It was like I could be anything, and I didn't have to choose. So don't make fun, okay?
Beckett having fun!

Frakes having fun--he directed!