Thursday, August 13, 2026

Disguises: Boy to Girl

Earlier, I discuss the archetypal disguise of the girl dressed as a boy. 

The archetypal disguise of the boy dressed as a girl has an equally long shelf-life. Achilles is hidden among young women by his mother, who doesn't want him to go to war. Odysseus unmasks him when he places a spear among a variety of items and Achilles picks it up. In my critique/tribute to Herland--which involves a boy dressed as a girl--my primary narrator and one of the mentors have this exchange:

Moadine said, “In the tunnel, an argument ensued. Astyanax was male, a potential warrior. He would bring danger to the sanctuary the woman hoped to find or build. They knew the story of Achilles, how Odysseus uncovered him, disguised, in a court of women, spotted him because he alone picked up a sword.”

I nodded. I knew the story. I also knew plenty of women, including a niece, who would also have gone for the sword. Just as I knew plenty of women in Troas who yearned for competitive opportunities as much as did Alim. 

However, boy to girl narratives often involve disclosure due to "male" action and whatever issues these gender commentaries provide, I find them narratively more satisfying than pretending that biological and physical differences don't exist at all.

In Eli Easton's Robby Riverton, Eli Gregory's Eleventh Hour, and, for that matter, Quantum Leap's "What Price Gloria?" the sacrifices and choices of the female character are stressed and admired. Both Robby and Miles embrace their female personas. Since Sam is being female for the first time, the episode stresses his need to adapt. But in later episodes, he wears his dresses (and flats, which he prefers) with grace and style. None of the characters shows embarrassment. In fact, they use the persona to make connections, discover international secrets, and stand-up to a sexist boss. 

At the same time, the reality of being female is stressed. The adoption of a female name or pronoun doesn't magically negate issues like body shape or menstruation. The female body is applauded in these stories, not treated as an optional extra.