Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Lack of Couples--And Interest--in 3 of Shakespeare's Plays

I gave myself a pass on Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, and The Tragedy of Troilus and Cressida. I didn't try to read or watch them.  

The authorship of at least one of these plays is disputed. It isn't that Shakespeare couldn't write bad plays. But the plots of these plays...

Words fail me. 

I distill the play's plots using three different quotes plus fantastic cartoons from Good Tickle Brain:

Timon of Athens. A video summarizing the plot states, "Apemantus swings by to accuse Timon of copying his sarcastic and negative attitude." 

I love "swings by."   

A FaceBook summary of Titus Andronicus states, "14 people dead, 6 severed members, one rape, one live burial, one person insane, and one case of cannibalism."

And of Troilus and CressidaWikipedia states, "While this plot gives the play its name, it accounts for only a small part of the play's run time."

So...I'm not going to waste my time pondering these plays' relationships.