Thursday, October 27, 2016

Complaint 2: Suddenly Vanishing Manga Series

I made the mistake of thinking this series
was only 2 volumes. It's not. Ahhhh.
Beginning of rant:

I HATE making my way through a manga series only to discover that the very last volume hasn't yet been published in English.

What's worse is I can't even complain about it. I am fully aware of all the entirely comprehensible reasons why manga series abruptly trail off, from publishers folding to the expense of translation to the expense of amassing the magazine-published shorts into one volume in the first place. And I am immensely grateful to those publishers who actually believe there IS a market for Japanese manga in America.

So, I know, I know, I know.

Still, it is so irritating! I WANT the third volume of Rabbit Man, Tiger Man! And yes, okay, Blue Sheep Reverie has a kindof ending in Volume 6 but I would really, really like to read the rest.

And what the heck happened to Maiden Rose? (Though to be fair, the 2 volumes sync together quite nicely theme-wise.)

Then I remind myself how difficult it was to get even mainstream manga twenty years ago--and I sort of calm down.

Until another series I'm reading ends abruptly! Ahhhhhh.

On the upside, the following volumes are coming out in 2017:
Spiritual Police, Volume 2
Finder, Volume 8

So it does happen!

In the meantime, many series' volumes are available in German or French! But be careful: the publishers don't always admit it (at least not on Amazon). I had to look up Vassalord on Wikipedia to make sure all the volumes after Volume 4 hadn't been translated into English. (And my French isn't that good.)
 
End of rant.  

Update: I now own the entire series of Rabbit Man, Tiger Man, volumes 1-2 in English, the remaining volumes in Japanese (hooray for Amazon.jp). I was able to more or less follow the plot though I'm sure I got various details wrong, and it helped that I knew the basic story already. Here's to hoping that eventually some American company decides to translate the entire series: I can find out if I am right!