Thursday, June 4, 2020

Romance & History: Setting in M/M Romances

In my Votaries re-post, I state that one of my criteria for romances is...

It can't take place in Scotland, the Wild Wild West, or the Middle Ages.

Interestingly enough, this is where M/M romances have made a difference.

With traditional (M/F) romances, I can never shake the idea of how freakin' cold everything is in those settings. Although I grew up reading--and being read--The Little House on the Prairie books and have a high opinion of these books, I was never once in all my childhood attracted to the lifestyle.

I've met people who are--I've even read a very honest and humorous book about being obsessed with the Wilder milieu.

I never felt that way. Perhaps, I was too close to it. I have pioneer ancestors on both sides of my family. Their stories never inspired me to pull a handcart or wear dresses full-time or camp out on the plains. Mostly, they made me grateful that I would never have to do any of those things.

So traditional romances where women in skirts freeze to death never drew my interest (nope, not even Outlander: I read the first book; that was enough).

Yet I have read a number of M/M romances based in Scotland, the Wild, Wild West, and the Middle Ages.

I think the reason is two-fold. As I mention elsewhere, part of the attraction of yaoi is the objective distance it affords. I get to read about romance without feeling any kind of "this is me" identification--from me or from condescending "bet you wish you were Elizabeth" outsiders. I write, in length, elsewhere about why I don't think that kind of identification is wrong or unusual. I also make the point that not all women read romances with identification in mind.

The second reason that I happily indulge in M/M romances set in Scotland, the Wild West, and the Middle Ages is a reason I address several times on this blog: the men in these books have jobs, specifically jobs that allow them to move around.

Don't get me wrong: my female pioneer ancestors worked REALLY REALLY hard (harder than I work, however exasperated I get with online courses these days). And a large number of women within my heritage were able, due to polygamy, to move beyond hearth and home.

It remains a fact, however, that men could move further and do more--which doesn't mean they also didn't die from the cold. But generally speaking, I find it easier--and quite enchanting--to focus on Murdoch trying to put his estate in order and David trying to figure out a law case--Robby trying to outwit the gangsters by running West--Anthony and Sebastian maneuvering to survive Queen Elizabeth's court--

Traditional romance must by necessity--and historical accuracy--move back to the necessary (vital) jobs performed by women. And they always seem to involve people being very, very cold.

Modern heating is a wonderful thing.