Saturday, July 10, 2021

Good Writing & Romance: Deanna Raybourn

I've been writing more romances lately. Despite the fact that I read erotica (I honestly see nothing immoral about reading about bodily functions or bodily parts), I don't attempt to write it. 

Writing good erotica is rather like writing good religious discussions. No matter how profoundly writers may feel, either can come across as clinical or cloying or both. 

When writing romances, I focus instead on indirect statements which leave as much as possible to the reader's imagination. And a great writer who uses a similar approach is Deanna Raybourn.

In the Lady Julia Grey series, Lady Julia Grey and investigator Nicholas Brisbane form a relationship that from Day One involves a certain amount of animal magnetism. At one point during the investigation, during a confrontation in the park, Lady Julia, the narrator, is interrupted in the middle of an apology:

"Brisbane, say something. If you wish to strike me, do it and get it over with. I know you are frightfully angry, and you have every right."

I stopped then because he made me. He did not strike me; instead he did something I had never expected. He reached for me. It was some time before he let me go. 

Yup, it's exactly what you imagine. 

And well-rendered as well.